Author: Sandra Kyle
Narrator: Kelley Hazen
Series: DIY, Book One
Length: 8h 14m
Publisher: Sandra Kyle
Released: June 27, 2017
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Vanessa moves to Savannah to pick up the pieces of her once very certain existence after her fiancé cheats on her. An independent and self-sufficient accountant, Vanessa also has a knack for DIY. When she purchases a ramshackle property in need of repair, she crosses paths with Daniel, a sexy and skillful carpenter. Daniel is a ladies’ man who plays the field and has his own romantic issues to conquer. As Vanessa embarks on a journey to embrace her new community and rehab her new home, she enlists Daniel’s help. Tackling the house is the easy part, but can two do-it-yourselfers find a way to work together to fix their love lives as well?
About the Author:
Born to Italian parents, Sandra is a “first generation” American. Her parents came to America in search of a better life. Along with their dreams they brought with them wonderful tales that Sandra recalls told time and time again around the kitchen table.
Though not sure where her love of writing originated, she can admit to having penned stories (i.e., fanfic) about New Kids on the Block back in the late 80s – scribbling pages and pages in notebooks shared before school by lockers and passed in between classes. It was fiction that included classmates and heartbreaking romance only a teenage girl filled with unbearable angst could summon.
An avid movie lover and introvert, she reads anything from Austen to King. She is an east coast gal and currently resides (when not immersed in the fictional worlds that occupy her headspace) with her husband and bipolar feline.
About the Narrator:
Kelley Hazen is an actress, blogger and audiobook narrator living in Los Angeles with her husband and their two awesome dogs. The Los Angeles Times describes Kelley’s work – “…listen to Kelley Hazen, so poised and well spoken, so in command of this room full of strangers you wonder why she isn’t off winning Oscars….” Kelley received recognition from Audible.com as ‘Best New Audiobook Talent’. She twice received the Audiofile Magazine ‘Earphones Award’ for her narration. She holds an MFA from The Asolo Conservatory for Professional Actor Training. Kelley isa lecturer in astronomy for the world-renowned Griffith Observatory. She was recently invited to participate in “A Celebration of Mark Twain” as part of the annual HEAR NOW Festival in her hometown of Kansas City, MO. Kelley owns and operates Storyteller Productions, an intimate, boutique, recording studio carved into a San Gabriel Mountain hillside.
This or That Questionnaire with Sandra Kyle
- Waffle fries or curly fries? Waffle
- GIF with a hard g or soft g? Soft (I’m also an ETHERNET with short e gal *shrugs*)
- Fantasy or science-fiction? Fantasy (Have you seen “The Dark Crystal” or “Legend”?)
- Superman or Batman? Superman – Reeves and his little curly que made quite an impression on me when I was younger.
- Text message or call? Text for information dissemination. Call for true connection.
- Pancakes or waffles? Waffles – perfect balance of crispy exterior and fluffy interior.
- Doctor Who or the Walking Dead? Neither at the moment.
- TV Shows or movies? Hm, tough one. Television production has really raised the bar in terms of entertainment value over the past decade. I guess just for binge-watching potential I’d have to go with TV Shows.
- Facebook or Twitter? I find Facebook easier to use.
- Alice in Wonderland or Robinson Crusoe? Crusoe
- Being too warm or too cold? I’d rather be too cold.
- Netflix or Hulu? Netflix
- Work Hard or Play Hard? Work Hard
- Passenger or Driver? I selfishly enjoy being the passenger and taking in the view
- Amusement Park or Day at the Beach? Either one if it can be at night and at my leisure – any place with too many people is too much stimulation and stress.
- Honesty or Other’s Feelings? It can be tough to hold to, but I value honesty.
- Movie at Home or Movie at the Theater? Movie at home – air popped popcorn and pausing for bathroom breaks.
This tour comes at the perfect time. Vanessa and I are at the same life crossroad, so I feel the connection right away. Buying a house is a major life decision: location, size, style; there are millions of questions to ask yourself before buying. We both choose a fixer upper and live in Georgia!!. Every time I hear the phrase “biting her lips”, it reminds me of Fifty shades of Grey. Even though they don’t have anything in common, except for the same genre. As for story, it is very relaxing and easy. It is a great choice for the summer.
I love how Hazen gives a different voice to every characters, and very easy to differentiate. Her voice is very clear too. However, her narrating voice is not my favorite. I prefer a girly voice for romance books. The overal performance is good.
3.5 out of 5 stars
I received this audiobook as part of my participation in a blog tour with Audiobookworm Promotions. The tour is being sponsored by Sandra Kyle. The gifting of this audiobook did not affect my opinion of it.
Between the Coverz
The Book Addict’s Reviews